Monday, July 14, 2014

How to Create a Timelapse Video

It's only a day away. While I'm typing this up, the new timelapse video is uploading to YouTube. Over the course of May and June, I tried to make time (besides work and regular blogging photography) to go out and shoot some timelapses. In order to shoot it properly you have to take a lot of images, and that usually means that you get one finished collection of frames per session.

On top of that, I added the factor of sunset into the mix. This usually meant that I had to wait around for the perfect time of the day, and then go and shoot quickly so that the light wouldn't vanish. On some shoots I also did a transition from sunset into dusk.

My first timelaspe was posted on my 600th post, and it was 30 seconds long. This time, the video will be 1:43 minutes, which is considerably longer. The video features more shots, more angles and more views.

The new video will be uploaded tomorrow. In the meantime, I wanted to show some making of screenshots and show you, how I make such a timelapse video.

click on the images for a bigger view



1. It takes a lot of images to get one finished sequence. Each frame is slightly different then the one before it.


2. It takes A LOT of images. :) One second of finished video contains 24 frames or still images. You do the math! As you can see below, this particular shot had 266 images, which results in 11 seconds of finished film.


3. After I process the images in Photoshop, I move to Adobe After Effects, where I import the image sequences, do some editing and color correction, as well as pans and zooms.


4. In the end I finish the video in Adobe Premiere Pro, where I add the titles and, most importantly, music. A goof score makes half the video.


I hope to have wet your appetite with these screenshots. Tomorrow I will post the video with some still shots from it. I hope to see you back again for it.

19 comments:

  1. You are further on than I am. I shoot RAW but don't have the editing power of AE. I have to switch to Lightworks with all the codec problems. No worry, I'll catch up.
    Look forward to seeing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lightworks is a pain, but your results are still great!

      Delete
  2. What a ton of work!Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing amount of editing work to make up a relatively short video.. can't wait to see it tomorrow Mersad!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Viel Arbeit die sich dann aber lohnt. Bin schon sehr gespannt auf das Video und freue mich.

    Schönen Wochenstart und herzliche Grüsse

    N☼va

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danke Nova. Ich hoffe es wird Dir gefallen.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic work, Mersad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i know i will never do this or even try because i have zero patience even to just take the photos, plus all this work? can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to love time lapse in order to make it through a 30 minute continious shoot of one scene :) But the results can be very striking, and that's what keeps me going.

      Delete
  7. Way to complicate for me but I look forward to seeing the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to try this myself so I appreciate the tutorial. Now I just need to buy some more software!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find really good tutorials on this subject matter under the link to my 600th Post!

      Delete
  9. These are amazing, Mersad, I do so admire your talent!! I, too, am looking forward to the finished product!!! Thank you for sharing with us. Hope you have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia. Hope you will like the finished video tomorrow.

      Delete
  10. Look forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cool Mersad! Thanks for sharing these steps here...am inspired to try one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh, that's a lot of shots. I wouldn't have the patience to do timelapse so I'm happy to view your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well you certainly have whetted my appetite that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Subscribe

Image Credits

All Rights are Reserved. The images may not be reproduced, copied, transmitted or manipulated without the written permission of the author.